Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lao tzu

Life has an amazing way of being.  Last Saturday Crystal and I met with Leisel, the daughter of our dearly departed Angelene Tysseland.  We had the opportunity to go through some of Angelenes books and papers and keep or borrow what we liked.  I came across a number of books that resonated with me, one of them being Lao Tzu's "Way of Life".  For those who are not aware, this man lived around 604 BC and his words resonate with a profound relevance in this day and age.  I have since re-read it twice and intend to continue doing so because his message speaks so strongly to me and clarifies so much that seems murky about life today.  Please read this small poem as an example.  I appreciate that it might not mean as much to the next person at this time as it does to me.  Nevertheless, it is a profoundly simple and strong message.


As the soft yield of water cleaves obstinate stone,
So to yield with life solves the insoluble:
To yield, I have learned, is to come back again.
But this unworded lesson,
This easy example,
Is lost among men.
                                                                                                               Lao Tzu  604 BC
I am amazed that this man, who lived 2615 years ago, possessed such common sense knowledge that the majority of the earths inhabitants lack today.  Why is this so? All of us are so out of touch with life, with life as it should be.  The great events happening today can be a lesson on the right way to live. Thank you, Angie, for the book.  I know that you read it many times, judging by all the footnotes I have come across and I now know that your latest Cantata "Labyrinth" had its roots there as well.

No comments: