Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hair of the Earth

When one looks closely at an African Violet you will see a multitude of fine hairs on the surface of the leaves and it is these that give the leaf that distinctive shimmering effect when the light strikes (as well as benefits to the plant that we have no idea of as of yet).  The surface of the earth displays similar effects, although because of the complexity of the surfaces one is confronted with untold light effects under varying light conditions of course. I believe that is my muse, all the texture of the earth and sky, these tendrils poking up out of the ground receiving that which they require. In return they give it back to me and I give it to you. Its a Mystical experience that has many layers. I don't think these thoughts when I'm painting, I'm just in receiving mode quietly pushing the paint around.

No comments: