Monday, August 15, 2011

Denare Beach Art Retreat

Blue Hotel  Oil on Canvas 36x48
I am back from a week of painting in the wonderful community of Denare Beach, SK.  Our annual Shellmouth Retreat was moved there to give Jan Layh a bit of a break this summer after busily planning for her daughter Avery's wedding in a few weeks time.  What a fantastic place to be for a week of friendship and art making.  Many thanks to Karen Clark and Sarah Trevor, who organized this fantastic event.  I made new friends and reconnected with the supernatural wonder of the precambrian shield country after being away for nearly three years.  It has wetted my appetite to get back there and paint the landscape once more.  Also thanks to the artists of that area who came out to participate and to the public who supported all of us at the wind up on Saturday, what an amazing turnout!  We were treated to some special music performed by the Hanson's, a local duo, who played while be danced our heads off!  The painting above is one of 9 that I completed while up there.
I would like to invite my readers who are in the vicinity to come out to my solo show here in Watrous at the Gallery on 3rd.  It is titled "Conversations with Place," and will feature many of my works of the area.  It opens on Wednesday, August 17th.  The opening reception is August 19th at 7 pm.  Hope to see your there!

No comments: