Wednesday, May 2, 2012

April showers bring May flowers

Who doesn't love Petunias?  Their cheerful and floppy blossoms remind me of a bunch of Ukrainian Babas all dressed up in traditional clothing sitting around a kitchen table laughing and singing as they make perogies for a big family wedding.  (How is that for imagination?) I came across this watercolour painting yesterday as I was rummaging through my stock of papers for something to paint on.  It had a bright yellowish/green background that I found unsettling so I decided that I had nothing to lose by painting over it with black.  As some of you may know, yellow and black mixed together makes an interesting green by varying the intensity of either. Tom Thompson painted some lovely wild flower paintings using a blackish background to good effect. I am really looking forward to planting pots of Peturnias this spring so I have something to look at and paint.  I'll just have to have them somewhere where the deer can't get at them!

2 comments:

Jane said...

The Ukranian Baba stuff really had me laughing, great fantasy ! I can't believe this is a watercolor, thought it was a photograph...absolutely outstanding !

Darrell Baschak said...

Thank you Jane, I'm glad you had a good laugh! My Baba was very fond of flowers, I have many happy memories from my childhood hanging out in her gardens.