Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Tangle in the Middle

Try as I might I cannot seem to escape the complexity of Mother Nature, so I just have to give in to it and embrace and paint the chaos in front of me.  Wolf Kahn is very accomplished at it and devotes a few pages to the topic in his book on Pastels.  I love texture, in nature and on the support I choose to use for the work.  This paper is coated quite heavily with marble dust and manipulated with a painting knife, go figure. Painted the other morning in front of a favourite poplar tree.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Interesting how you 'work ' the paper , wonderful light and richness in this painting.

Darrell Baschak said...

Thank you Jane. The photograph does not do it justice, I think the camera was confused by all the optical things going on and had a hard time focusing! Love what you are doing lately, how is spring in Italy?