Thursday, July 8, 2010

Eastend Art Retreat


We are back from our annual retreat to Eastend, SK, which is hosted by my good friends Barb and Dean Bauche. It is always a memorable time, getting together with old friends and meeting new ones, dealing with wild weather events, and exploring the wonderful landscape. This year I couldn't help feeling sad and also upset with respect to what is happening with the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and its terrible impact on the bird population. This year at Eastend I saw and heard the most beautiful birds that I've never seen before and the thought that they are soon heading down to that disaster zone, possibly never to return is unconscionable to me. We are supposed to be looking after our small friends, aren't we? This oil painting represents the place we stay at down at Eastend. There are numerous blue bird houses around the property and to me signify good stewardship. I would encourage others to take steps to protect our birds, the world would be eerily silent without their songs.

No comments: